The Tsuut’ina Nation Police Service would like to remind all drivers that under the Alberta Traffic Safety Act, when an emergency vehicle (ambulance, fire or police) is approaching you from any direction and is sounding a siren, you must yield the right-of-way by:
• Immediately moving clear of any intersection
• Driving your vehicle to the right side of the road if it has one or two lanes
• Driving your vehicle to the nearest side of the road if it has three or more lanes. If you are in the centre lane, drive to the right side
• Stopping until the emergency vehicle has passed and checking that no other emergency vehicles are approaching
• Remember, you must not follow within 150m of any emergency vehicle that has its siren or lights operating
We all need to do our part when it comes to safety. Watch for emergency vehicles, yield the right of way and slow down when passing personnel on the highway. It’s that simple, and it can mean the difference between helping in one emergency and causing another.